Welcome back, Spiders! After a quiet summer we are excited to see students roaming campus, hear laughter and conversation in the Commons, and watch campus buzz back to life. Whatever you did this summer whether research, an internship, service, work, traveled, or just enjoyed time off to rest and relax, we are happy to have you back and are looking forward to the year ahead. As we kick off the 2015-2016 academic year, there are a few exciting new changes for the Office of Alumni and Career Services that we want to make sure you are aware of.
Online Appointment Scheduling
First, you’ll probably be excited to learn that you can now schedule your career advising appointments online! While in the past you’ve had to come to our office in person or call during business hours, you can now request an appointment from the comfort of your residence hall or anywhere else you have access to the internet. Here are the steps for this new process:
- Login to SpiderConnect using your Net ID and password
- If you haven’t yet been in SpiderConnect, you’ll be asked to fill out your student profile
- Navigate to the “Calendar/Appointments” tab of the top navigation bar, click “Schedule an Advising Appointment”
- Click the gray “Request New Appointment” button in the bottom left of the screen
- Then you can search for appointments based on days/times that you’re available and/or appointment type and see what’s available
- When submitting the appointment request for “Type” you’ll want to select the correct type, our traditional 30 minute general career advising appointments are labeled as “In Person Appointment (Undergraduate, Alumni <5, MBA)(30 min)”
- Provide us with notes on the purpose of your appointment, any questions, what you’d like to discuss, etc.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your appointment details
If you have questions about this process, don’t hesitate to give us a call or drop by the office and we would be happy to help you.
While this was a service first introduced at the end of last semester, you will definitely want to make sure that you take part it in this fall! Resume Check is a process for all students in the Class or 2018 or younger (current sophomores and freshmen, that prepares you to be successful in application processes that you’re interested in for internships or other opportunities. Before being able to have a resume for use in our SpiderConnect system (which is needed to apply for internships, some of our programs, and other opportunities like UR Summer Fellowships) you will need to upload a resume to be reviewed be our office. We will be reviewing resumes to ensure they meet the basic Rubric Requirements our office has set in place.
If you don’t yet have a resume, we have plenty of resources on our website and you can also drop by our office everyday 2-4 p.m. for assistance on developing a resume. We encourage you to come by drop-ins and have your resume reviewed in person prior to submitting to Resume Check. When you’re ready to submit your resume you can follow these step-by-step instructions to go through the process and check out our frequently asked questions if you want to learn more.
Best of luck as you start this new semester, we hope to see you in the office or at some of our programs this year!