With spring break quickly approaching many students are excited for a week off from class to head somewhere warm, or at least warmer than Richmond. This break provides vital time for career planning so make sure you take advantage! No matter where you are in job or internship processes here are some tips to make the most of your time:
Still looking for a summer internship or starting your job search?
- Search SpiderConnect for opportunities that interest you and don’t forget to take advantage of the different resources offered on the site.
- Check out idealist.org for nonprofit opportunities, and this doesn’t mean doing hands on service work. These organizations have all types of opportunities in accounting, marketing, research, etc.
- Create or update your resume using our resources to develop your content, format your document, and view resume samples to get some good ideas.
- Set up informational interviews with people in your network (family, friends, alumni, previous colleagues, etc.) to learn more about your desired career field and make connections.
- Consider these 8 tips for your search.
Already have the internship?
- Do you know where you’ll be living for the summer? Check out these resources to start searching.
- If your internship is unpaid or minimally paid check the UR Summer Fellowships, which can help you get funding for the summer. The due date is March 20th so get to work on the application!
Have your post-grad plans finalized?
- Whether you’re entering the workforce, heading to grad school or taking a gap year there are still things to plan. Have you figured out where you’ll be living after graduation?
- Start thinking about how you’re going to budget your money and use cost of living calculators if you’re moving to a new city.
- Make sure your LinkedIn account is up to date and that you’ve connected with classmates, faculty and staff before leaving UR.
No matter what point you are at with career plans take some time to check out these resources and do some planning.
Have questions about where to go from there? Come in to Career Services after break for walk in hours 2 – 4 p.m. daily or schedule an appointment with a career advisor by calling (804) 289-8547 or coming by the office. Enjoy your break!