When is the perfect time to come into Career Services?
As early as possible! As a career advisor, I get this question a lot, especially from first year students: “Is it too early to come to your office?” This is when I get very excited with my reply “Of course not, it is NEVER too early!”
All too often students think that Career Services is an office to visit once you’re looking for an internship or full-time positions after graduation. Our office provides a wide variety of services, and the more time you spend with us while you’re here at the University of Richmond the more you will understand yourself and have the tools to reach your career goals.
Ok, have I convinced you yet? Maybe you’re thinking about coming to the office but wondering what you really talk to a career advisor about as a first-year student. So far this year I’ve discussed the following with first-year students:
- Services: an overview of the services that our office provides and which of those might be most useful to use now
- Majors: assistance with exploring different majors, deciding on a major, or general conversations about why you’re interested in the area
- Assessments: I have suggested some students take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or the Strong Interest Inventory to learn more about their personality and/or interests and how this relates to decision making and potential career paths
- Industry Areas: Already know you’d like to work in the Arts? Interested in the health field but don’t want to pursue a medicine career? We have a plethora of resources and tools to help you explore different career industries and learn about how to be successful within your chosen field
- Four-Year Plan: Like I said, you’re not going to be searching for a full time job during your first-year, but we have a Four-Year Plan to ensure you’re successful when it comes time
- Internships: Believe it or not, you can start engaging in internship opportunities as early as a first-year student, come on in to find out more about making this happen
So come on by any day from 2-4pm or just call (804) 289-8547 to make an appointment with a career advisor today. When our awesome front desk staff asks you what you’d like to discuss, don’t hesitate to let them know it’s your first appointment with the office and you’d like to learn more about what we offer.
We look forward to seeing you soon!